Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Perspective

Today the contractors should have finished putting the new carpet in our old house. Anne took some pictures for us and it all seems very backwards. Here are the before and after shots.

Before the refrigerator flooded the entire first floor.After the flood, lots of phone calls with insurance people, and several contractors later. I'm sure with the new carpet it looks lovely, but it's just different. It makes me sad to remember all the hard work that went into painting those rooms not to mention all the friends who helped do touch-up paint and clean carpets and cupboards just before we moved out. I have to keep reminding myself that it's not our house anymore and maybe the plain white walls will help sell it quickly.

It's been a hassle to deal with all of this, but then I see all these shots of the thousands in Haiti who have lost what little they had to start with. It really puts into perspective my trials - how minimal they are compared to so many. Because I have been given much I too must give . . .

3 comments:

KWit said...

I so hear you on Haiti. As for your house before was so beautiful. I love the colors you did and how it all just flowed together! But like you said it's not your house...but they are your memories of all the fun forever! Hold onto those ones :) Glad it was all able to be fixed. I can't imagine doing all that long distance.

M said...

I'm sure it's weird to see white walls everywhere. I remember feeling a little strange when I saw some of the changes that happened to our old house in Provo. The important thing, though, is that the house sells quickly! I hope you find a buyer soon.

M said...

Oh, and I appreciated your perspective in regards to Haiti. It's very true: it's hard to complain when you think of the circumstances over there.