Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Closed on Tuesdays

Kaylee loving an ant puzzle at the PSC

For Christmas my parents got us a membership to the Pacific Science Center , a museum in downtown Seattle that I've been going to since I was a kid. The best part is nothing has drastically changed there since I was 8 years old. Of course there have been updates and additions like the butterfly garden and genetics exhibit, but the shadow wall, outdoor water toys, mole rats, dinosaurs, laser shows, and giant chess sets are still the same. Recently we decided to take a spontaneous trip to the PSC because we have a membership and you can do that. We called up Danny's friend Will and left right after Kaylee's morning nap. AFTER paying for parking I saw the sign. "Science Center closed on Tuesdays." Really!? On Tuesdays? I was shocked and had about 15 yards (from the parking meter to my car) to make a decision.

I unloaded the crew anyway (I had just payed for parking after all) and explained to two disappointed 3-year-olds that we had a change of plans and would not be seeing any dinos. Fortunately, it was a gorgeous sunny day. Fortunately the International Fountain is just a block away. Fortunately, we had a picnic lunch packed. Fortunately, for some unknown reason, there were dozens of giant balls and hundreds of hula hoops scattered around the fountain. Fortunately, 2 hours later when we returned to the van, the boys were chattering about how it was the funnest day ever. I'm pretty sure Kaylee enjoyed herself too.
Who needs dinosaurs and mole rats anyway.

4 comments:

Matt said...

Thanks for the post Carrie - it was the highlight of my day by far. Love ya.

Heather said...

Oh this made me miss Seattle. You described the Science Center so well, my childhood memories are strong there. Stinks about being closed on Tuesdays, but look how serendipitously it ended up. Love the giant balls and hula hoops. Congrats on a huge success.

Kelli said...

Only you could turn a bad into a good, especially with 2 three yr. olds! That's a sign of a good mom! Great pictures too!

Becky said...

Way to improvise! I've often thought I should just stop buying my kids toys and just let them have cardboard boxes they would have just as much fun =) Too bad about the Science Center though it is a pretty fun place!