Saturday, March 19, 2011

House Hunting

This afternoon we spent 4 hours looking at houses. Our lease ends in June, and since it's a good time to buy, we felt like we should take a look around. I love looking at homes. Unless I'm actually considering buying one of them and making a long-term commitment to living in it. Then it's not as fun because you're also considering all the long-term implications of a mortgage, home value appreciation, etc. I've also found searching for homes in this part of the country to be a lot tougher than Houston. We knew when we made the move here that the cost of living was significantly higher than Houston, but wow. It's a lot higher. Case and point.

Houston area $204k
  • 6 br, 3.5 bath
  • 3558 sq. ft.
  • Built in: 1998


Seattle area $220k

  • 3 bed, 1.5 bath
  • 1,340 sq. feet
  • Built in: 1955
Awesome.

As we wander through houses built in the 50s, I remind myself of all that I love about this area.

Houston:
Seattle:

I'll take my mountains, beautiful lakes, and miles of hiking trails. Really, with so much to do outside, why would we need much house anyway?

And, really, really, I feel so blessed to be in a position where we can even consider buying a home AND to be extremely comfortable in the beautiful house we're in now. I'm mindful of the fact that so many others, like thousands in Japan, do not even have a place to call home right now. We truly are blessed.

4 comments:

M said...

I like your perspective at the end of the post, especially tying things into the sad situation in Japan.

I hope you guys are looking at homes in the Lake Hills area! :)

KWit said...

WOW I can't believe the difference of houses from Huston to Seattle. I know when we moved here to NV, we were in total shock at what we could afford compared to what we could afford in Seattle. But my heart is with you I would take the mountains, lakes and trees over the desert. Oh how I miss WA and all of you guys. Good luck on your hunt and like you said we do have so much and are so blessed...

Rachael said...

I agree. Despite the poor economics, this part of the country makes you so glad to be alive. IF only we didn't spend so much time in the house!

Sean said...

I LOVE LOOKING AT HOUSES! It's like my favorite hobby. Even though on teacher salary I'll never be able to afford one...Or even live comfortably. It's okay, a cardboard box can provide me with a roof, right?

Wow, that is incredible though. I might be able to afford an aluminum foil roof if I move to Houston!