Tuesday, January 29, 2008

What's on my iPod

Despite all that's going on in my life I still find time to discover a new band or song every now and then. I thought I'd post a few that I'm really enjoying in case one of the few friends that ever reads this wants to check it out. If you have time, post what you've been listening to.

You can classify my musical tastes into two broad categories right now. First is the pretentious indie music stuff that I like but also listen to because I think it makes me cool. Second is my secret guilty pleasure: Mormon Pop music or what I like to refer to as MoPop. Mostly stuff in the EFY vein. This stems from late night sing-a-longs with my sister Mindy in High School to Michael McLean's the Collection. "She was only a dairyman's daughter..."

I have really been enjoying the Juno soundtrack. It's folksy and goofy and one of the song includes my favorite video game cheat code of all time "Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Select Start". Watch out for Loose Lips though since it drops the F bomb.

Band of Horses is great. I have three of their songs currently in rotation and they never get skipped:

1. The Funeral
2. No One's Gonna Love You
3. Is There a Ghost

I also picked up the Arcade Fire album titled "Funeral" which makes me feel really morbid since that was one of the songs above - this is not a commentary on my mental state. The Arcade Fire stuff is all right but I wish I had just purchased the single "Haiti" it's by far my favorite on the album.

Now for the MoPop:

Goofy song called "The Light" by April Meservy from Best of EFY: 2004-2006.

Reaching by Carolyn Arends EFY: 1998.

That's it for now ... gotta hit the sack.

Sad to hear that Mitt lost in Florida tonight. I feel a little silly because I root for Mitt more because he is a Mormon and went to BYU then because of how I feel about his abilities as a potential president.

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Mitt??!! Go Obama!

Heather said...

Yeah, I recently discovered my friend April has been on two EFY cds. She was in the freshman ward with Carrie and me. Guess she was more serious in songwriting class than I was...

Vagabond Mother said...

I'm going to have to think about this one. Sometimes, I get a craving for old Michael and EFY, and then I remember that in my coolness I don't have any of those cd's anymore. I don't think that's cool at all. Thanks for your comment (and quote).