Sunday, February 08, 2009

Bad Guy

So, when Danny was a sweet innocent baby boy, I remember imagining that he would always be so kind and angelic. Though I knew he was a boy, I thought with careful parenting I could be sure he never got obsessed with swords and guns and "Hi-ya!" kicks. I still remember, however, the first time he found a toy laser gun at his cousin's house. They don't even have a lot of toy weapons and have pretty strict rules about how to use the light sabers and stuff. But down the stairs comes Danny, shooting up a storm with the one laser gun in the house. Where did he learn that!?

Not too many weeks after that I became a little more concerned when we were eating waffles and he bit a piece into the shape of a gun. "Look - gun!" Followed by gun sounds. I explained I didn't like him shooting his waffle at the dogs. That's a conversation I never planned for.

We also try to read the picture scriptures every night before bed, but again I started to feel a little nervous about this routine when instead of requests for the stories of bravery and righteousness Danny just got excited to read about, "Sticks mommy. Bad Guys!" I've continued to try and explain that although it's generally not good to cut off arms or murder people with swords, that Ammon and Nephi were really good guys. Not sure how much of this is sinking in with my two-year-old.

Matt has continued to reassure me that none of this means our son will be the next unabomber or grow into an overly violent teen. It's just typical boy stuff. I try to reassure myself that I'm not a bad mom while continuing to teach Danny the difference between good guys and bad guys and the danger of the weapons he's so keenly drawn to.

I had to laugh the other day though when my precious, innocent, angelic two-year-old pulled out this one. I had been cleaning out my closet (the joyous swapping of regular clothes and maternity clothes) when out of the back comes this guy. "Look mom. I a bad guy."


My little thug. Can anyone relate?

8 comments:

Matt said...

Carrie won't even let me buy Danny a nerf gun. She's no fun.

Phil said...

He looks so intimidating! :) I'm convinced violence is an innate guy thing. I don't get it, or want to... Matty knows now, mom doesn't like guns and stuff like that- save it for dad.

Terri said...

Hmm boys, guns, lightsabers, swords, sorry, I can't realate! No seriously, it's my life! Give in and make them happy because as you already know, they make their own wepons, and believe me nerf darts hurt less then a lot of other things! Oh and I don't think they grow out of it (sorry)!

Debbie said...

Timmy has a paint stick that he carries around and uses as a sword. He also uses his fork as a sword. I am grateful that he acts like a "boy"-- he does have 3 big sisters. . . Danny is still a sweet little guy. Very creative with the hanger though. . .

alex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
alex said...

This is shawnee by the way. My blog is listed under Alex--

That is hilarious. Yes, I can relate. I am very careful with Clayton as well, but yet he is drawn to guns and things. We went to a thrift store a few days ago and he found a big shiny gun and said, "WOW MOMMY! WHAT IS THAT?" He doens't even know what it is and yet he knows he likes it. I'm also very careful about what the kids watch, but when mommy's out, they get to watch movies like Incredibles, with daddy. So now, because of incredibles, everything can become a weapon. A couple of weeks ago, Clayton came around the corner pointing the handle of his jump rope at me and said, "FREEZE!" I had to laugh. My dad explained that guys are the protectors of their homes, and so they are naturally drawn to that kind of stuff. So I'm sure with our guidance, their manliness will be used for good!

Becky said...

Last summer we got the boys squirt guns (their first weapon) and they knew exactly what to do. We just got back from Disneyland and their favorite rides where Astro Blasters and Toy Story Mania both rides where you shot guns. I don't think their is much you can do about it. Just try your best to guide them and laugh when they use a hanger for a weapon!

Wallace Family said...

I also had a "no weapons" rule for Jackson, but I finally had to withdraw that rule after Jackson came home from a friend's house with a pretty good cut on his thumb. Turns out they were sword-fighting and that pretend sword of his wasn't much use. Now we have an arsenal.