Wednesday, October 06, 2010

BYU Trivia

During our recent trip to Provo, I decided to make a little game for my blog readers. While Matt slaved away at a job fair trying to recruit promising, new employees, the kids and I wandered around campus. What a joy to wander around at a leisurely pace with no concern about the next paper, midterm, or project. There was no stress about who I was dating (or hoping to be dating) or where I should apply for teaching jobs or what the future held in store. I was content to explore my favorite haunts with the kids while snacking on giant rice krispy treats and Jamba Juice. What a fun few days!

So . . . to the game. Can you figure out where we wandered?
1-

2 -

3 -

4-
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-
11-
12-
13-
14-

A few highlights from the Provo trip . . .
  • Canning salsa & lunch with my old friends Leslie, Becky, Amy, and all 13 of our kids. Old because we've been friends since high school . . . not because we're old. :)
  • Creamery treats and exploring with Timmy & Aunt Debbie.
  • Reading books with the kids in the library and bookstore. I felt a little guilty disturbing the studying students, but figured they probably needed a 15 minute break anyway.
  • Exploring every exhibit in the Museum of Art and admiring the well-polished banisters. Danny was impressed when I told him I used to polish the banisters and vacuum the floors at the MOA.
  • Cafe Rio . . . twice.
  • Finally meeting Matt's mission companion Elder Hall.
  • A session at the Provo Temple with Matt while some of our grown up youth from Houston babysat the kids. Thanks again Leica, Lori, & Emily! Next time Hannah!
  • Swimming & playing with all the cousins at a nice hotel pool.
  • Bridal Veil Falls & Park City
  • Matt surviving a 5 hour round trip run/hike up Mt. Timp
  • New BYU gear.
  • Lunch with the Hong cousins before the BYU game (the game itself was NOT a highlight - boo).
  • Driving through the canyon.
  • Watching the sunset at Rock Canyon Park.
Overall it was a fantastic trip! I'll think of a fabulous prize for anyone that gets all 14 locations right. :)

7 comments:

Matt said...

very clever post Carrie. I won't put any of my answers since I have inside info.

Heather said...

1- Bean Museum (north of campus)
2- the pond/natural area between the MOA/HFAC (on the moa side of the sidewalk.)
3- The bridge that goes over the road from marriot center
4- door on a new part of the library? Never seen this
5- lawn by the ASB?
6- the basement of the MOA
7- that indian on the south end of the library
8- in the hfac
9-Moa cafe upstairs
10- "tree of life" statue in the field area to the right of the mckay bldg.
11- on the grass west and north of the library. The small peak behind him is periodicals.
12- Outside the Smith Family Living Center?
13- this is in the business building. The Tanner Building.
14- LaVell Edwards stadium :)

Hope I win the prize!

Heather said...

OK, here are my sister Noelle's answers (she was there a few years after we were):

1. Bean
2. sculpture garden outside hfac and moa
3. marriot ramp
4.not sure but I think it is the museum south of campus. Culture museum or something
5. lawn of JKB
6. MOA
7. indian statue but outside east of library
8. HFAC stairs
9. museum cafe
10. sculpture in the quad between eyring science, library and JSB
11. quad between library, asb and jkb
12. statue south of the library and right next to the study abroad building
13. HBLL
14. LAvelle

M said...

Here are mine:

1) Bean Life Science Center
2) MOA sculpture garden
3) Ramp leading to Marriot Center
4) Bean Life Science Center doors
5) On the east HBLL lawn (just south of the HFAC and across from Bookstore entrance)
6) Main MOA lobby
7) Indian statue on west side of HBLL
8) HFAC stairs
9) MOA cafe
10) "Tree of Life" statue by David O' McKay Building
11) Lawn outside the JKB (with HBLL atrium and HFAC in background)
12) Just south of the Bookstore and HBLL (next to a short flight of stairs) and east of the Kennedy International Studies building.
13) HBLL stairs leading down to periodicals
14) Lavell Edwards Stadium

Fun game! It's making me nostalgic for BYU.

Leslie said...

It was so fun to see you, and thanks for saying we are not old, even thought the 13 children between the 4 of us might disagree. I recognize most of your pictures, but because of said children, I don't think I have the mental capacity to try to identify them :0)

Carrie said...

So, #1 was the only one everyone missed. The dinosaur skeleton was actually at the BYU Museum of Paleontology near the stadium. I'm pretty sure this didn't exist when I was at BYU, so don't feel too bad for missing it. Monica, you had all the others spot on. Way to go! As your prize, I will serenade you in the BYU Fight Song next time we're together. Thanks for playing all!

Becky said...

Actually Carrie the Dino museum was there. I remember going for an FHE my freshman year. Joe was in my group too so he can vouch for me :). So good to see you again can't wait for next time!