Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas Traditions

So we just finished sending out the last of our Christmas cards yesterday. And I can't help wondering how long this tradition will continue. Personally, I LOVE sending and receiving actual cards & letters in the mail. Growing up, my parents put together a really creative newsletter every year. I remember helping address envelopes (by hand mind you, none of the easy data merge to sticky labels), add stamps, and lick envelopes. And through the years, though I didn't personally know every person we were receiving cards from, I anticipated another family photo from the Jones or Jerches just to see how much everyone had grown and changed. We moved around a lot growing up, so for many of the families, this was the only time of year we kept in touch.

But now, things are different. With facebook, blogs, & email, it's so much easier to keep up with people. I know what my friends from Jr.High did last Saturday. Even as I typed our family letter, I couldn't help feeling a little repetitive. I should have said, "So, if you've been reading our blog or if you ever check facebook, you probably already know all of this, but I have a sentimental attachment to mailing out newsletters so here you have it . . . " Maybe if my attachment is to mailing out the letter I should just send a postcard that says,"Merry Christmas! Read blog for update." I know many people are switching over to electronic Christmas cards & letters. Makes sense. It's more economical and green. For the time being, I'm still hanging onto the real deal, but I wonder how many years it will last. It's hard to imagine a Christmas without a Christmas card tree though.

One tradition that will never, ever change is Christmas cookies. Danny & Kaylee got to decorate with their Grandma LaRue over Thanksgiving (side note - we had a fantastic, SNOWY, Thanksgiving in ID with Matt's family. Did I bring my camera? Yes. Did I take pictures? No.). Kaylee, in particular, really got into helping. Cookies seem to be a trend with her. Last year she was swiping cookies before I'd introduced her to any other solid foods.



Thanks for two adorable aprons, delicious cookies, & an unforgettable afternoon Grandma!!!

1 comment:

j said...

Hello hello this is Ryan Jensen Matt's friend from BYU. We would like to have yur address so we can send you a real xmas card : ) email us to juliafisio@gmail.com thanks!!!