Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Little Pieces of Nature

We have now lived in our house 5 years. There are quite a few perks to living just off a major interstate such as 15+ different restaurants within a 2 mile radius, Wal-Mart within walking distance, and a water park only minutes away. However, we do miss things like large beautiful trees, seeing the stars at night (although if you squint enough you might mistake the car dealership lighting as moonlight), and wide open spaces.

Within the past few days we've been especially blessed with our own little pieces of nature though. For Mother's Day Matt and Danny picked out some beautiful orchids at a local nursery. Matt remembered how much I loved last year's orchid. Hopefully we'll be able to keep these ones alive through next Mother's Day.

Unlike the orchid from last year, I'm happy to say I have kept this porch plant alive for several years. Apparently it's no feat because I've gone weeks without watering it and it just won't die. This is my kind of plant. While Danny and I were watering it on Monday though, we found a little friend inside. I'm pretty sure it got scared by the two-year-old hands trying to catch it because we haven't seen the lizard since then. Our FHE lesson Monday night was about God's creations and treating them with a little more love and respect.


And finally, the highlight of my week. While many of my friends have been posting about gardens (I think all of you rock!) this is my minimal flower gardening. Truthfully, I didn't even pot the plants myself. I just picked out 3 hanging plants at our local Home Depot and stuck them up. I have kept them alive though, so maybe that's a start.



A few weeks ago as I was watering the purple flower and noticed a nest inside. I didn't see any eggs at the time, nor did I check up on it any more until this week. And guess what? Our little purple planter is home to a nest of baby birds now!

I have to restrain myself from checking on them all the time. Yesterday I was privileged to watch from the window as daddy bird stood guard on another planter and mama bird swept in to feed her babies. I tried to get some pictures through the window, but they turned out awful. I need Mindy Hong or Terri to come take some pictures for me! I did get these shots outside when I first made the discovery.

So, hooray for our baby birds and our little piece of nature. I'm limiting myself to one visit a day now so I don't scare mama bird too much, but I'll keep you updated as our little ones grow.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Wow, I can't believe it's been five years. So glad your baby birds hatched. The ones nesting in our fence were abandoned. Hope your pregnancy is going well!

Debbie said...

I don't even attempt to keep plants alive. It is hard enough to keep my kids alive :-). It looks like you have all kinds of wildlife at your house.

Terri said...

Pictures... did you say pictures? I'll come take pictures!

Becky said...

I can manage to keep plants that are in the ground alive but hanging pots I'm not good at. I can't remember to water them enough. I keep trying though. We'll see if I can do it this year!

Yeah for your baby birds. I can't let my kids know about your birds or they will have to check our hanging pots constantly to make sure we don't have a nest in ours too. You're pretty lucky =)

Leslie said...

So, have you seen my yard? I know you have once or twice, and it probably looks the same now as it did then. One year I did plant 10 rose bushed, three shrubs, and a tree. Now all I have left are three rose bushes, and one shrub. I did replace the tree last year, and so far it is alive. Every year I think I will do better, but then I have a baby, or get pregnant again, which is what has happened to me again this year, I am due in December!. This should be the last time, so... maybe next year.

Jenna said...

Aww! Cute little nest! My boys would love it. We have caught four frogs and one lizzard in the last couple weeks. We always have to let them go because they get traumatized by the boys. We are working on that too! Making it an FHE lesson is a great idea.