Sunday, May 17, 2009

New Addition


No, we don't mean baby. Still a few more weeks. Our 96 Corolla has been having a few issues lately, and when we took it in to the shop last week we were told it would cost as much to fix it as it's worth. "Phil" has been a good, faithful car for many years (except when Mindy got in a bad wreck in it during its younger years), but we've known it was nearing its end. With Matt's longer commute, Phil has aged quicker than usual lately and now that we had a mechanic confirming that his time was drawing to an end, we knew it was time to get a new car.

We had fun looking at cars with Matt's dad while he was here this past weekend. The debate - go ahead and get a mini-van now since we'll probably need one in the next few years anyway. OR, get a new reliable, fun commuter car for Matt since he spends so many hours a week driving. We tried out a few Honda Odyssey's and I was quickly sold by the convenient features. Then we test drove the Volkswagen GTI that Matt's had his eye on . . . . it was an easy choice. So we are now the proud owners of a 2008 GTI. I'm convinced we can someday be the proud owners of a mini-van, but I'm OK to wait a while longer.
Danny's commentary on the new car.

Next new addition . . . baby girl arriving in early July.

5 comments:

LaRue said...

Is Danny planning on a car hyjack with that wicked knife he is holding? Watch out Dad. Congrats and thank you Carrie for not making my son grow up yet! Love Mom Hong

Carl & Rosemarie Brauning said...

I LOVE IT! I am sorry we didn't have time for a tour of it when you came by but I'm looking forward to a formal introduction!!!

Benjamin Swanson said...

I don't know...looks pretty fancy for a commuter car. I'm afraid Matt will be out for hours hotrod-ing now. haha. very nice

Wallace Family said...

Congratulations on the new car. It looks way cooler than my Honda Odyssey and I bet you didn't cry for days after you bought it! Kelsie says hi.

Jenna said...

Sweet car! Danny is so cute in the video. I love his face when he is pretending to drive.

We had the same dilemma with the minivan thing. I could not be happier than I am with my Mazda5. It drives like a Mada3 (built on the same engine and frame) and is super versatile (seating 6 or carrying 8' tree) and gets 26mpg in the city/32mpg on the freeway. They're also under $20,000. One day I'll go for the Odessey, but I'm not that grown up yet.