Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Orchid Iris

No, this is not some rare breed of flower. Matt got this beautiful orchid for me for Mother's Day and we decided that like all other living things in our home (plus our cars), it needed a name. Iris is the flower's name. There is a large flower shop that Matt often drives past on his way to a regular study group downtown. I was surprised when he returned from his study group with this beauty! Lucky me. It is about 2 feet tall and when Iris the Orchid first arrived home, she had 6 blooms. Now she has 10! We were worried we'd kill her, but we must be doing something right. A tribute to my nurturing abilities I guess - something else to care for. Over one month later, Iris the Orchid is still blooming so perfectly that most visitors think the flower is fake. It does look a lot like something you'd buy at Pier 1. I have had my doubts about its authenticity too - it's rare that I can keep a plant alive so beautifully (granted Matt remembers to water it more than I do). Thanks for a great Mother's Day gift that I can keep enjoying Matt!

2 comments:

Mindy and Benjamin said...

I love it. Those plants totally remind me of Taiwan. And I must admit, I thought it was fake when I saw it the other day-nice nurturing guys!

Mindy said...

Good luck. I love orchids and I've had a few but I can never get them to bloom again after the first ones die. Someone told me you have to do something extra to get them to bloom again.