Saturday, June 28, 2008

"Baby" Group

Shortly after Danny was born, a couple friends and I started a Baby Group. All of us were first time moms with brand new babies. Obviously the babies wouldn't appreciate ward playgroup, but the three of us needed to get out once in a while. We'd get together for lunch one day a week and let the babies lay on blankets and stare at each other (or the ceiling). For a couple hours we could enjoy adult company and discuss the uncertainty, joy, and frustration of motherhood while eating delicious new recipes. Our group grew as several other friends had their first babies. At its largest we were rotating between 7 different houses. We had so much fun cheering on each babies new successes and watching them grow. "Ethan is sitting up!" "Yay, Zack can roll over now!" "Danny's eating baby food!" For me, Baby Group was often the highlight of my week and it helped me adjust to the new role of motherhood. I never felt alone in the challenges or joys.


As nap schedules changed, some of us returned to work, and life (and the babies) got busier, our Baby Group slowly disappeared. Most of us actually go to playgroup now since the kids can enjoy it. Some of us were able to get together for a baby group reunion recently (we missed you Amy and Annie!). It was comical and thrilling to watch our "babies" play together. Eating was so much more complicated when we couldn't just nurse after we ate. Sticky fingers, messy clothes, throwing food (Danny), high squeaky voices saying "Pease" and "tank-oo". But then all the busy "babies" walked themselves upstairs to play with toys on their own. They could vroom cars around share blocks (sometimes) and throw bean bags. As the moms ate our lunch we were in awe . . . are these really our babies? We decided to take some pictures, and I just had to include them all because they were so comical. Especially when I compared them to the baby group shots about 14 months earlier. So thanks to Lori & Maddie, Cara & Allison, Kelli & Ethan, Tahlia & Lily, Amy & Zack, and Annie & Jake for so much support, friendship, and great memories! And congratulations to Lori on a beautiful baby #2 - Welcome Amelia!

3 comments:

LaRue said...

This was so fun for me to see. I got to go to "Baby Group" once also! That was when they were all the babies laying on the floor. It was fun to remember them and see them all growing up. I'm so grateful for the wonderful friends my kids have in Houston. However I would be happier if they were closer! Love, Mom Hong

Kelli said...

Oh! Our babies! I just about cried when I saw how little they were! I too loved our little baby playgroup-it was great fun and very educational too. So great idea Carrie (and Cara too) to have a baby only playgroup. It was really beneficial for us all!

Sara said...

So cute! Ethan doesn't look too happy though! LOL