Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"Airpane" Party

About a month ago, Danny had two obsessions - airplanes and baseball. When I asked him which he wanted for his birthday party theme, he chose, "Airpane." Though I promised myself I'd keep it low key this year, I couldn't help scouring the internet for fun ideas. It was still a lot more low key this year and I decided I just have fun planning parties. Most importantly, Danny had a great time with friends, food, cake, ICE CREAM, and lots of "airpanes."

Since October is one of the pleasant months in Houston, we decided to party in our backyard. We borrowed a few folding tables and chairs from friends. The evening was perfect - couldn't have been over 80 degrees - and clear blue skies. We just decorated with blue and white tablecloths, wooden airplanes (thanks Target) and some blue and white balloons.















There was airplane food for dinner - small sandwiches on Kaiser rolls (thank you Target), bags of chips and pretzels, canned soda and juice, airplane shaped PBJ sandwiches, and some fruit and veggies. There were not roasted peanuts, but I did find some airplane-like styrofoam trays to eat on (sorry environment). Also, you will be happy to know I did not charge the guests $5.00 (exact change please) for their meal service.


I only had a couple games. The kids all participated in finding toy airplanes in the clouds (rice).









Some people colored and folded paper airplanes (which ended after Rex's got stuck on the roof) while others played with gliders and the wooden airplanes I found at Target.















Of course Danny's favorite game was watching the real airplanes fly overhead. Perhaps being under the flight path to the airport helps a kid get a healthy obsession with airplanes.




Pilot Danny had fun opening all his presents (thanks for so many nice gifts!)
And not surprisingly he had plenty of helpers to unwrap the presents . . .
After Danny opened presents he gave out goodie bags to all his guests.


The "barf bags" included gliders, paratroopers, and candy airplanes that cousin Alex helped make - super easy and super cute!






The cake was really fun to make. I found the idea in a cookbook I have. My only frustration was forgetting how difficult it is to frost cut edges - you get lots of crumbs. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the challenge and Danny was pretty excited about a plane cake when he saw it.
He was not the only one excited about the plane cake . . . .
Allison was the culprit . . . but don't worry. . .
We still gave her cake later.
My one major oversight was birthday candles. We had only one, and well, it was Danny's second birthday. I did manage to find two tea lights though. He did a fine job of blowing out the candles.

We had a great time with friends and family and it is always humbling to remember how many people love and care about our son besides us. Thanks! And, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DANNY!

Thanks Mindy and Cara for doing an awesome job on photos!







7 comments:

Terri said...

Thanks for inviting us, it was a fantastic party! Happy 2nd Danny!

Kristen said...

How creative and fun you are! I LOVE that cake, the candy airplanes, the games, the pbj airplanes, everything. You're hired to plan my kids' next parties. :) Happy Birthday again to Danny!

Amy said...

Another amazing Carrie party! Looks like it was fun! Wow to have October be the nicest month? It hasn't been too bad but definitely not 80!

Reba said...

what a fun party!

LaRue said...

Thanks so much for the pictures. We already know what a great planner you are because you are our travel agent!! The cake was amazing. A lot more challenging than the pumpkin last year and it looks like you were up to the challenge. Matt thank you for the Danny Birthday call. Here in Idaho we will celebrate when the temp. gets up to the 50's. Missing you all lots. Danny's Granny

Leslie said...

That cake is awesome! I love making fun cakes for my kids birthdays too. It looks like you had lots of fun.

Mindy and Benjamin said...

You do great parties Carrie. I love how your "low key" is so much more creative than even my best attempts...it was lots of fun.