Thursday, September 22, 2005

Hunkering Down

I'm just adding a few of my own thoughts to Matt's. It was frightening out there actually being in the traffic & heat. So much despair . . . . I have a new understanding for all that the Katrina victims went through. Many people had been on the road 16 hours and made very little progress. It feels very good to be in our own home and much safer. The thought of being stranded on 290 with no gas, no open stores, and no idea when help would be coming was frightening. We have no clue how strong the storm will be, but we feel it is much safer to be inside here with food and water than outside stranded on a freeway.

I am grateful we heeded the counsel to be prepared . . . the only thing we had to purchase was batteries. We already had plenty of water and food. Matt did get some extra water bottles. But we feel like we have plenty to sustain us if there are severe power outages (I just bought an extra 24-pack of toilet paper - YAY!)

This evening I'm going to work on making our little bunker in the laundry room. We'll move some of our food storage in there along with blankets, our 72 hour kits, some cushions. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thank you for all of your prayers and concern.

Carrie

No comments: