We are a little nervous right now. We attempted to evacuate Houston toward Austin at 10:30 AM this morning. We drove for six hours and were only able to travel ~30 miles when our gas tank was down to around 1/2 a tank we decided to turn around. The scene on the roads were very frightening. Many people were out of gas and congregating at gas stations and on the side of the road. There was a air of desperation that hung over everything.
So, instead of taking our chances with no gas on the roads, we decided to come back. We are fortunate to be in an area that is not in any of the flood zones and that we have a house that is built to modern standards that should be able to withstand the storm we are expecting. We will continue to monitor the situation and hope that the roads clear up enough to get out in the next day if it becomes necessary for us to attempt to evacuate again.
There is a group of about six of seven guys from Church that are also staying around and we will probably all hunker down together when the storm gets closer.
Don't think that we are crazy for staying. No public officials have recommended that anyone in our situation evacuate unless that just don't feel safe. We are not in manditory evacuation zones. Many people in our neighborhood are staying and we will not be alone.
The storm looks to be weakening and heading for a more favorable strike then we originally thought.
Our cell phone service is spotty, but some calls do make it though if any of you want to get in touch with us.
Thanks for all your love and prayers. We feel like we are in a safe place and that all will be well.
I will try to update this blog as the hours tick down. We are about 18 hours before we should start to feel tropical storm force winds. Landfall is projected in sometime late Friday night.